Monday, November 15, 2010

Not a very fun or funny post...RIP Zahra

There was a 10 year old girl that disappeared sometime ago in North Carolina.  She was a survivor of bone cancer, lung cancer, had a prosthetic leg, and wore hearing aids.  Most likely she was killed at the hands of an evil person very close to her.

And I don't really want to get into any of that...

But, I have to.

I have a 9 year old daughter.  A 7 year old son.  I consider myself some sort of survivor type myself.  And, this page exists so that I can let the things that run around my mind find a place...here.

It isn't really the horror that Zahra likely faced that haunts me.  I'll leave that for Nancy Grace to sort out.  We need Nancy, though, standing on that fence, letting us know that evil people roam the world...because they do.

I walk into my daughter's school everyday to pick her up.  Over the lockers of the 4th and 5th graders, they keep their pictures, with their creatively captured names.  Today, I wandered around and made sure that I knew what each kid looks like.  I picked a locker out of the line, and wondered how it would affect my world...our world if it were that kiddo...or mine.  Not from an anger-ridden go draw and quarter the bastards that do these things...sort of attitude...which does come to mind.  But from the story perspective.

Survival isn't about making it.  It isn't about sticking around to breath a few days more.  It's about clawing and screaming at life because you have a story that you are living.  It is the Story that makes our lives what they will become worth.

I'm troubled because the dark side has succeeded this time in silencing what must have been an utterly fantastic story about a girl that bitch -slapped cancer, not once, but twice, and struggled to keep going...the few pictures that we saw of Zahra had her smiling in most every one.  She made it through the hard part, but she couldn't outrun the darkness that surrounded her, and it got her.

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes, When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"  Gordon Lightfoot wrote about the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

I don't know, but I am coming to understand that it happened on our watch, and it is an unforgivable thing to let a little girl with a fantastic story slip away unnoticed into the hands of evil.

John 1:5 tells us in God's Bible that the light shines into the darkness and that the darkness cannot overcome it.

It is days like today that all I can do is a shed a little tear and sincerely hope that is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment